Tested Recipe Adapted from Chef Plilip Yoong’s Penang Nyonya A-Ma Secret Recipe
30 pieces bunga telang
2 tbsp water
5 eggs (A)
300ml thick coconut milk
3 pieces pandan leaf, knotted
1. Combine glutinous rice, thick coconut milk and salt into a steaming tray. Put the knotted pandan leaves on top and steam for 40-45 minutes or until soft.
2. While steaming the glutinous rice, prepare bunga telang juice. Put bunga telang and water in a small saucepan, bring to boil at low heat into indigo blue colour juice.
3. Add the blue colouring to 1/3 of steamed rice and mix well to get blue glutinous rice.
4. Line a 7” shallow square tray with banana leaf. Spoon in the steamed rice, alternating the blue portion with the white portion. Mix well and level the surface. Press down the rice with a piece of banana leaf.
5. Use something heavy to press on top of the rice until cold and firm. Remove, cut into pieces and serve with kaya.
Kaya Preparation Instructions:
1. Stir egg together with sugar until dissolved.
2. Mix egg mixture with coconut milk and strain into a double boiler. Add pandan leaves. Stir-ring all the while with a long wooden spoon until smooth about 30 minutes.
3. Then continue to steam with very low heat for another 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally until glossy and golden brown. Remove and leave to cool.