Tested Recipe Adapted from Patricia Lee’s Delicious Nyonya Kueh & Desserts
300g glutinous rice flour
200g sweet potatoes
2 tbsp tapioca flour
10 pandan leaves
A few drops of green food colouring
A pinch of salt
100g palm sugar (grated and mixed with 1 tbsp castor sugar)
250g grated white coconut
- Steam grated white coconut on 2 pieces of pandan leaves with a pinch of salt for 10 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Skin sweet potatoes and steam for 15 minutes or until cooked. Mash while still warm.
- Crush pandan leaves till fine. Add water to make 200ml pandan juice. Sift. Add salt and green food colouring.
- Put glutinous rice flour and tapioca flour in a mixing bowl. Add in mashed sweet potatoes. Pour in pandan juice and knead till dough is smooth and spongy. If is too dry, add some more pandan water from step (3).
- Pinch a small lump of dough. Roll into a ball and flatten. Put a little palm sugar at the centre and seal well. Save in a bowl.
- Bring a big saucepan of water to the boil. Drop the ondeh ondeh into the boiling water. when the ondeh ondeh rise to the surface, keep boiling for another 2 minutes . scoop up each ball with a strainer and coat in grated coconut.