TESTED RECIPE ADAPTED FROM GUO YUFANG’S YOUR 280-DAY PREGNANCY DIET GUIDE
1 beef shank (about 300g)
3 pieces tomato
120g frozen green peas
INGREDIENTS FOR SCALDING:
1 stalk spring onion
4 slices old ginger
½ cup rice wine
1 tsp olive oil
Some pepper powder
1 cup red wine
1 cup tomato paste
½ cup batter
1 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
3 tbsp water
- Place beef shank and ingredients for scalding in boiling water, and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and continue to stew for another 15 minutes. Remove and rinse with cold water.
- Make a few cuts on the skin of the tomatoes and scald them in boiling water till the skin comes off at the cut edges. Remove tomatoes from hot water and soak in cold water.
- Cut beef shank into 1 cm slices. Shred onion. Remove skin from tomatoes and cut them into pieces. Set aside for use later.
- Heat up 1 tsp of olive oil in wok, and stir-fry shredded onion over low heat till fragrant. Add in beef shank, tomato and pepper powder. Switch to medium heat and stir-fry evenly. Pour in red wine, cover with lid, and stew over low heat for 15 minutes till tomato becomes soft.
- Remove lid, add in water and tomato paste, and cook over high heat. Switch to low heat and cook for another 30 minutes. Add in green peas and salt, and continue to cook over low heat for another 5 minutes. Add in batter ingredients and stir to thicken. Turn off heat and serve.
1. Cook butter over low heat in a wok. Add in flour and gradually stir-fry over low heat till fragrant. Turn off the heat and set aside to cool.
2. Place cooled flour and water into blender and finely blend to become a batter.