Tested Recipe Adapted from Reader’s Digest Like Grandma Used To Make
3 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
2/3 cup butter or margarine
1 cup low fat (1% milkfat) milk
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
6 cups fresh sliced strawberries
¼ cup sugar
For the whipped cream topping:
2 cups heavy cream
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Lightly grease 2 heart-shaped cake pans.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, the 2/3 cup sugar, and the baking powder. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, combine the milk, egg whites, and egg. Add to the flour mixture all at once and stir just until mixture is moistened.
- Spread dough evenly into the prepared pans. Bake for 14 to 17 minutes or just until toothpicks inserted in centers come out clean (do not overbake). Place pan upright on wire racks for 10 minutes. Using narrow metal spatula, loosen sides of cake layers from pans.
- Meanwhile, toss the fruit with ¼ cup sugar, then let stand to form juice. To prepare the whipped cream topping, in a large chilled bowl, combine the heavy cream, ¼ cup sugar, the vanilla, and almond extract. With an electric mixer on medium, beat until soft peaks form.
- To assemble the shortcake, place 1 warm cake layer on a serving plate. Top with half of the fruit mixture. Top with the second warm cake layer, right side up. Top with remaining fruit mixture. Serve with the whipped cream topping. Makes 16 servings.