Tested Recipe Adapted from Reader’s Digest Vegetables for Vitality
1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup plus 2 tsp sugar
11/2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking soda
2 tbsp crystallized ginger
6 tbsp chilled butter, cut into small pieces
1 large carrot, peeled
½ cup low-fat buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly coat baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In food processor, combine flour, ¼ cup of the sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Pulse to mix. Add ginger. Pulse until ginger is finely ground. Add butter. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Transfer to medium bowl.
3. Grate carrot in food processor. Add to flour mixture. Fold buttermilk into flour mixture just until evenly moistened.
4. Scrape soft dough onto well-floured surface. Knead briefly just until dough holds together. Pat out to 1-inch thick round. Sprinkle top with remaining 2 tsp sugar.
5. Cut dough into 8 equal wedges. Arrange wedges, 1 inch apart, on prepared baking sheet.
6. Bake until golden, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer to wire rack. Let cool.