Tested Recipe Adapted from Plilip Yoong’s Pasar Malam Delights
Sweet Dried Longan Soup
250g dried longan
4 pieces pandan leaf
Put all ingredients into a stock pot and bring to boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
100g big sago
5 tbsp pandan juice
- Clean sago and drain well. Add in pandan juice, water and soak overnight.
- Bring 2000ml water to boil. Add in sago stir and cook for 20 minutes at medium heat. Drain, and rinse the sago with running water.
- Dish and drain. Mix with sugar and leave aside.
1 small packet of barley, cleaned
3 pieces pandan leaf
Put barley into a pot, pour in water and bring to boil at high heat. Lower the heat and cook for 20 minutes. Dish and drain.
Sweet Kidney Beans
150g kidney bean
3 pieces pandan leaf
4 tbsp sugar
- Soak kidney beans for 1 hour and clean well. Put kidney beans and the remaining ingredients (except sugar) into a pot and bring to boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until kidney beans are tender.
- Dish up kidney beans, drain well and mix well with sugar while the kidney beans are still hot.
Candied Gingko Nuts
200g gingko nuts, shelled and skinned
Put all ingredients into a stock pot and bring to boil at high heat. Lower the heat and cook until the liquid has thickened. Remove from heat.
Candied Lotus Seeds
150g lotus seeds (soaked overnight)
Bring water and sugar to boil. Add in lotus seeds and simmer at lower heat for 25 minutes or until tender.
Pang Dai Hoi (Kembang Semangkuk)
6 dried pang dai hoi
Put pang dai hoi and water into a big bowl, soak for overnight. Clean and drain well.
Candied Sweet Potatoes
300g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small pieces
½ tsp calcium sulphate (sek koh fun)
- Put sweet potatoes and calcium sulphate in a big bowl. Pour in water and mix well. Soak for 30 minutes. Dish and drain.
- Steam sweet potatoes at high heat for 15 minutes. Remove.
- Bring sugar and water to boil until sugar has dissolved. Add in sweet potatoes and cook until the liquid has thickened. Remove from heat.
Put a little of each ingredients in a dessert bowl and pour over longan syrup. Serve hot or cold with ice cubes.
The purpose of using calcium sulphate is to soften the sweet potatoes and yet can keep the shape.
Blanch gingko nuts in boiling water for a while for easy removal of the skin.