Tested Recipe Adapted from taiwanduck.com
1 kg pork
Half bowl soy sauce
Quarter bowl dark soy sauce
Large piece rock sugar
Half bowl dried onion (shallots)
2 star anise
2 tbsp dried garlic
2 tbsp dried shrimp (soaked for a couple of hours then chopped up)
Half bowl Chinese cooking wine
7 small eggs
Serve with rice, some boiled greens and Japanese radish pickle
1. Prepare brown pork chopping into 5mm square chunks.
2. Also get the other ingredients ready.
3. Dry fry the pork chunks, if not much fat on the meat then you can use a little lard.
4. When water gone from the meat and it’s browned a little add the dried shrimps
5. Add rock sugar and star anise.
6. Add the 5 spice.
7. Add all the rest of the ingredients except the boiled eggs and just only half of the wine.
8. Cover and steam the food for about 5 minutes, turn the heat to medium.
9. Add some hot water until just over the food.
10. Now put your eggs in the pan and cover the pan.
11. Leave covered and cook for 30 minutes, turn the eggs sometimes so they absorb the flavours.
12. Add the other half of the wine, cover and cook for 2 more minutes it’s ready to serve.
13. Boiled some vegetables to put on the side (Kai Lan), served with rice and some Japanese mustard pickle relish slices!