Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from taiwanduck.com
4 regular sized boneless pork steaks
4 spring onions (chopped)
2 small slices of fatty bacon, chopped into small pieces
Half a tsp black pepper
A spring onion mashed in warm water (1/3 bowl) with ginger slices
Coating:- flour & beaten egg & breadcrumbs (I’m using 2 tbsp all-purpose flour, 1 beaten egg & 1 ½ cup breadcrumbs with 3 tbsp of cooking oil)
A little flour and water mixed to a paste to seal (glue) the rolls
Marinade:1 tbsp soy sauce, sugar, salt, a dash of rice wine and sesame oil (I’m using 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp sugar, ¼ tsp salt, ½ tsp rice wine and ¼ tsp sesame oil)
1. Flatten and tenderise the pork chops using your preferred method, we used a large cleaver. (I’m using the back of the clever)
2. Put the marinade over the tenderised pork slices and massage it all so the sauce gets into the pork (then wait 20 mins) (I’ve left my in the fridge overnight)
3. Chop up the 4 spring onions and bacon fat into very small pieces, add the pepper and pour in the ginger/onion water, rub it all together, add a little salt – this is the stuffing also a dash of sesame oil is nice!
4. Lay a pork steak on your table and put 1/4 of the stuffing on it, roll it like a very fat cigar.
5. When rolled use some of the flour/water ‘glue’ to close the join.
6. Coat the roll in flour, egg, breadcrumbs – then give it a few minutes to stick.
7. Heat the oil to medium heat and add the rolls.
8. When browned take them out and re-heat the oil until it is very hot.
9. Now put the rolls back in the oil to crisp up, just a couple of minutes, don’t burn them.
10. Drain and take away the oil on some tissue paper.
11. Present them in slices on a plate, serve in Taiwanese style with herbs, vegetables and rice but they are also very good with mashed potato.
I’ve done some adjustment from step 6 onwards since I’m using air fryer.
- Mix 1 ½ cup bread crumbs with 3 tbsp of cooking oil. Use your finger tips to mix it thoroughly.
- Prepare a plate with 2 tbsp of all-purpose flour and another one with 1 beaten egg.
- Coat the pork roll in flour, follow by egg and bread crumbs. Repeat the same steps for the remaining pork roll.
- Preheat air fryer at 200C for 5 minutes.
- Arrange the coated pork roll into the fryer basket.
- Air-fry at 200C for 10 minutes. Turn it over and air-fry it for another 5 more minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter, garnish with some cherry tomatoes and parsley.