Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from taiwanduck.com
Ingredients: (for about 30 balls) (I’m only doing half of the recipe)
1 bowl self raising flour (I’m using 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 3/4 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt)
2.5 bowl of plain flour (I’m using 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour)
Half a bowl of sugar (I’m using 1/4 cup granulated sugar)
2 eggs (I’m using 1 beaten egg)
30g lard (I’m using 1 tbsp of lard)
2/3 bowl of water (I’m using 1/4 cup of water)
1/2 tsp baking powder (I’m using 1/4 tsp baking powder)
1 tsp baking soda (I’m using 1/2 tsp baking soda)
1 bowl of sesame seeds (I’m using 1/2 cup of sesame seeds)
Half bowl of sliced almonds
1. Sieve all the flour into a mixing bowl.
2. Microwave the lard to a liquid.
3. Put the eggs and sugar with the lard and blend it together.
4. Mix this mixture into the flour.
5. Slowly add the water, bit by bit as you make the dough.
6. Knead the dough about 10 minutes.
7. Make a long roll of dough and break pieces off to make ping-ping ball sized balls of dough. (I’ve make mine a bit smaller, manage to get 25 pieces x 1″ diameter).
8. Dip the dough balls into water and roll in sesame seeds or almond flakes.
9. Heat up the oil over a medium heat.
10. Add a few balls, remember they will get bigger so leave some room!
11. When they are golden take them out of the oil and re-heat the oil to high temperature, now re-fry the balls for half a minute, take them out.
12. Now the balls are ready to serve with a sweet sauce of your choice like; custard, ice cream, condensed milk, cream etc.