8 pcs x 40g square puff pastry
8 pcs x 1” width x ¾” thick x 7cm length nian gao strips
½ no beaten egg
1 tbsp white sesame seed
½ tbsp black sesame seed
- Use a rolling pin to roll the square puff pastry thinly into a rectangular shape.
- Place the puff pastry in landscape position on a silicone mat, place the nian gao strips at the middle towards the edges close to you, starting from the end, roll the puff pastry to cover the nian gao strips, then fold both sides inwards. Then continue rolling until reaching the other end. Use your hand to shape it neatly into a rectangular bar.
- Repeat for the remaining ingredients.
- Transfer the nian gao puff onto a lined baking tray and place it 2” apart from each other.
- Brush some beaten egg on top of each nian gao puff.
- Sprinkle with some white sesame seed first, follow by some black sesame seed on top.
- Bake at preheated oven at 200C for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and leave to cool completely on wire rack before consume.