Tested Recipe Adapted from Chef Plilip Yoong’s Penang Nyonya A-Ma Secret Recipes
600g pork belly, cleaned and drained
100g tamarind pulp, mixed with 250ml water and squeezed out juice
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
B (mixed well):
6 shallots, removed skin and sliced
3 chilli padi, diced
3 tbsp sambal belacan
4 calamansi limes, squeezed juice
Sambal Belacan (pounded):
4 red chillies
3 chilli padi
½ tbsp toasted belacan powder
½ tsp sugar
- Cook pork belly in boiling water for about 10 minutes. Dish and drain. Prick some holes onto the skin.
- Combine pork belly with A and put into the fridge. Marinate overnight.
- Cook the pork belly in a wok using medium low heat for about 20 minutes or until the gravy is very sticky.
- Dish up, cut pork belly into 2cm thick slices and arrange onto a serving platter.
- Spread B on top of pork belly and drizzle with calamansi lime juice before serving.