Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from Gu Huixue’s The Secret of Cookies
50g caster sugar (I’ve used granulated sugar)
40g seeded red date
200g cake flour (I’ve used 180g all-purpose flour + 20g corn flour)
1g baking soda
10g milk powder
some flour, 1 bamboo stick
- Cut softened butter into dices. Cut red date into dices. Place ingredients C in a same container.
- Line a baking tray with non-stick baking mat. Preheat oven to 180C.
- Melt ingredients A over low heat till fully dissolved. Remove from heat, add in red date and stir till the mixture is completely cooled. Pour it into a mixing bowl.
- Sift ingredients C into the mixture of Method 3. Using a spatula, keep pressing down till the mixture is well-combined. Knead the mixture with your hands till a dough is formed.
- Place the dough into plastic bag and slightly flatten it, wrap tightly. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the dough. Sprinkle some flour over your workspace and place the dough onto it. Knead the dough with your hands.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to a rectangle, about 0.5cm thick.
- Prick the dough with a bamboo stick and cut into small rectangles. (I’ve shape it into oval shape using a cookie cutter instead). Place them onto a baking tray.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.