Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from Ricky Ng’s Nyonya Desserts & Snacks
Ingredients: (I’ve only use half of the recipe and bake in an 8” square baking pan)
500g butter (250g)
400g castor sugar (200g)
8 egg (4)
500g self-raising flour (250g all-purpose flour, 3 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp salt)
8 tbsp milk (4 tbsp)
2 tsp vanilla essence (1 tsp vanilla extract)
- Combine sugar and butter in a mixing bowl and beat over low heat till evenly.
- Switch to medium speed and beat until light, and sugar is not dissolved.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Divide self-raising flour into 3 portions, add in flour gradually by portions and beat at low speed.
- Lastly, add in milk and vanilla essence, mix well. Pour batter into a 40cm baking tin and bake in a preheated oven at 170C for 60 minutes. Remove and leave to cool completely, cut into slices before serving.
The reason for not wanting dissolved sugar in method 2 is to have a coarse texture after baking.