Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from Kenwood Bread Maker Manual
450g bread flour
3 tsp cocoa powder
100ml full cream milk
40g caster sugar
1 tsp salt
1 ½ tsp instant yeast
1 beaten egg
½ cup water
25g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
75g chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, add in ¼ cup of the water and instant yeast. Stir well and leave aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add in the bread flour, cocoa powder, caster sugar, salt, beaten egg, full cream milk and remaining water. Mix well and make a small well at the centre. Pour in the yeast mixture. Knead into a dough.
- Lay a silicone mat on a working surface. Continue to knead the dough until all ingredients come together.
- Add in the butter, continue kneading until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Transfer the dough into a bowl and leave the bowl in the cold oven for 1st round of proofing, about 45 minutes or until double in size.
- Transfer the dough on a silicone mat. Deflate the dough and knead in the chocolate chips.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin into an oval shape. With a seal upward, roll into a cylinder. With a seal facing down, place in the pre-greased loaf tin to have the 2nd round of proofing, until double in size.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 180 C for 40 to 45 minutes, until turn brown. Remove from the oven and transfer onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.