10 pcs 3” x 1” nian gao strips
½ cup steamed & mashed orange sweet potato
½ cup steamed & mashed yam
20 pcs 5” x 5” spring roll skin
Adequate cooking oil for deep-frying
- Place 1 pc of spring roll skin on a flat surface, add in 2 tsp each of sweet potato & yam side by side at the centre towards the lower end of the spring roll skin, leaving about 1 inch on both sides.
- Also, place 1 pc of nian gao strip on top, starting from the end, roll 1-2 rounds first until you reach the center of the spring roll skin, then fold both sides inwards. Then continue rolling until reaching the other end and use a bit of water to seal the edges.
- Place the spring roll prepared in step 2 on top of another piece of spring roll skin. Fold both sides inwards, roll up neatly and use a bit of water to seal the edges. This additional piece of spring roll skin will prevent leakage from the filling and you will have a crunchier spring roll.
- Repeat the same for the remaining ingredients.
- Heat up a pan with adequate cooking oil for deep-frying. Deep-fry the spring roll on medium heat until crispy and golden brown.
- Dish out, drain on paper towel to absorb the excessive oil.
- Leave to cool a bit before serving.