Tested Recipe Adapted from Hoe Yee’s Hawker Secret Recipes 4
2 whole chicken drumsticks
4 tbsp Homemade Portuguese sauce
Homemade Portuguese Sauce:
40g bird’s eye chillies
50g red chillies
100g dried chilles (soaked)
2 tbsp salted bean paste
200g chilli paste / chilli boh
150ml cooking oil
B: (mixed well)
120g tamarind paste / asam paste
2 tsp salt
100g caster sugar
- Homemade Portuguese Sauce:
- Blend all ingredients A in the fruit blender until fine and smooth. Dish out. Set aside.
- Heat up ½ bowl of cooking oil in wok (about 150ml), add the blended paste, and stir-fry over medium heat until aromatic.
- Add tamarind juice and seasoning, mix well. Fry gently until fragrant and the chilli oil begins to separate, remove from heat. Keep aside.
- Rinse chicken drumsticks, pat-dry. Rub it all over with the Portuguese sauce, let it marinate for 1 hour.
- Arrange marinated chicken drumsticks onto baking tray. Bake in a preheated oven at 200C for 25-30 minutes until cooked through and golden in colour. Remove and cut into pieces. Serve hot.
We only require to use 4 tbsp of Portuguese sauce for this recipe. The remaining sauce can be kept in an air tight container in the fridge for future use.