Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from Masa
4 nos saury pike (cleaned)
½ no onion (sliced)
100g shimeji mushroom (trimmed)
Adequate salt & black pepper
Adequate bread flour
3-4 cloves garlic (peeled)
Adequate extra virgin olive oil
50cc red wine
200g canned tomato (I’ve used very ripe tomato + ½ tsp sugar blended together instead)
1-2 sprigs basil
2 tbsp ketchup (I’ve used tomato paste instead)
4 slices french bread
Adequate pesto sauce
Some grated parmesan cheese
- Pat dry saury and coat with bread flour, shake off the excessive flour.
- Heat up a pan on medium heat, add some olive oil, pan-fried the saury prepared in step 1 until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Heat up a pan on medium heat with some olive oil, sauté the garlic until fragrant. Add in slice onion, stir-fry for a while, add in the shimeji mushroom, stir-fry until fragrant. Pour in the red wine, turn on high heat and let the alcohol evaporated. Turn to low heat, add in tomato, water, basil, tomato paste, salt, black pepper and also the fried saury prepared in step 2. Cover with lid and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, apply adequate pesto sauce on the French bread and toast it until light brown.
- Dish out the tomato based saury stew into a serving bowl, sprinkle with some grated parmesan cheese and serve with pesto French toast.