Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from Kerja Dari Rumah
600g beef (cut into bite-sized pieces)
600g thick coconut milk
½ tbsp coriander seed (biji ketumbar)
½ tbsp fennel (jintan manis)
½ tbsp cumin (jintan putih)
1 cinnamon stick (kayu manis)
2 star anise (bunga lawang)
3 cloves (bunga cengkih)
3 cardamon pod (buah pelage)
1 tbsp asam jawa mixed with 2 tbsp water
25g palm sugar (gula Melaka)
3 tbsp kerisik
2 pcs turmeric leave (shredded)
Salt to taste
3 tbsp cooking oil
3 cloves garlic
3 stalk lemongrass
5 tbsp chilli boh
1 inch turmeric
- Heat up a frying pan without oil, dry fry the coriander seed, fennel and cumin until fragrant. Dish out and leave to cool. Use a hand blender to blend it and marinate the blended spices with beef pieces and leave it in the fridge overnight.
- Remove the marinated beef from the fridge, add it into a wok with some water. Bring to a boil, turn to low heat and simmer until the beef become tender.
- Heat up 3 tbsp cooking oil in a wok, saute the blended ingredients together with cinnamon stick, star anise and cardamom pod until aromatic and oils separated.
- Add in beef and stir to combine. Add in coconut milk and kerisik, constantly stirring on low heat until most of the water evaporated.
- Add in air asam jawa, gula Melaka and daun kunyit and continue to simmer until thickens. Add in salt to taste and serve.