Tested Recipe Adapted from All About Classic Authentic Dishes
1 tbsp oil (or lard)
60g wheat starch
60ml hot water
1 tbsp wheat starch (for coating)
Dash of salt
Dash of pepper
1 tsp sesame oil
1 egg white
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp sesame oil
Dash of five spice powder
- Rinse, blanch and pat dry scallop. Combine with marinade and marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Combine wheat starch, salt and hot water well. Set aside.
- Peel yam and cut into pieces. Steam for 20 minutes till cooked. Mash yam, add in oil and seasonings. Mix well.
- Add in wheat starch mixture into mashed yam, knead till well mixed and roll into a dough. Separate into 12 portions.
- Wrap each portion with a scallop, place on a plate and coat thinly with wheat starch.
- Heat 2 cups of oil to 170C and deep fry yam paste with scallop until golden brown in colour.