Tested Recipe Adapted from Cooking with Dog
1 tsp sake
1 tsp ginger root juice
2 tbsp potato starch
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp sake
2 tbsp mirin
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp grated garlic
1 tsp grated ginger root
1/2 tsp vinegar
Toasted white sesame seeds
Cracked black pepper
Sansho pepper powder
Ichimi – red chilli powder
1. Tebasaki sauce: Combine the soy sauce, sake, mirin, sugar, grated garlic and ginger into a pot. Turn on the burner. Stir evenly with a spatula. Bring it to a boil. To let the alcohol evaporate. Turn the heat to low reducing the sauce for a few minutes. Turn off the heat and pour the sauce into a bowl. Add the vinegar and stir with a rubber spatula.
2. Place the chicken wings onto the paper towel. Cover with another paper towel. Press with your hand, removing all the excessive water. Remove the paper towel and sprinkle with some salt. Lightly pat on the salt onto the chicken wing. Flip it over, sprinkle with salt. Lightly pat on the salt onto the chicken.
3. Place the chicken into a bowl, add the sake and ginger juice. Rub the seasoning into the chicken wings thoroughly. Allow to sit for about 10 minutes.
4. Use a paper towel to press slightly to remove the excessive liquor from the chicken wing.
5. Put the potato starch into a food storage bag. Place the chicken wings into the bag. Shake vigorously to coat the chicken with the starch. Place the chicken wing on to a cooking tray.
6. Heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Dropping a sprinkle of sesame oil for added fragrance and taste.
7. Remove the excess starch from the chicken. Be sure to drop the chicken when the oil is still cold. This will help the chicken heat up slowly. Cooking the inside with the juicy while deep frying the outside to a golden brown. The amount of the oil should be almost cover the chicken wing. Deep fry the chicken without stirring until the surface are cooked. This will help hold the starch in place while cooking. When the temperature begins to raise. Ladle the hot oil on the chicken. When the edges of the chicken became golden brown. Flip them over. Deep fry the chicken evenly until golden brown. Remove the chicken onto a cooling rack. Turn off the burner.
When is still hot. Add the chicken wing into the tebasaki sauce. With a paddle. Toss the chicken wings with sauce. With a kitchen brush, Coat the chicken with extra sauce. Sprinkle some toasted sesame seeds and generous amount of black pepper. Finally top with the sunshi pepper powder and red chili powder to taste.