Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from www.justonecookbook.com
Ingredients: (serves: 8)
1 3/4 cup bread flour
1/4 cup cake flour
1/4 cup granulated white sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp instant dried yeast
1 large egg (beaten)
3 ½ tbsp full cream milk
3 ½ tbsp water
2 ½ tbsp unsalted butter (soften at room temperature)
280g (35g x 8) anko, sweet azuki red bean paste
2 tbsp water
2 tsp black sesame seeds
1. In a small bowl, add in instant dried yeast and full cream milk. Stir to combine and leave aside for 5 minutes.
2. In a mixing bowl, add in bread flour, cake flour, granulated white sugar, salt and beaten egg. Stir to combine and create a well at the centre, pour in the yeast mixture, and gradually add in the remaining water and knead into a rough dough.
3. Transfer the dough onto a flat working surface and knead until everything are well incorporated.
4. Add in the unsalted butter, knead until smooth and elastic.
5. Transfer the dough into a bowl and leave inside the cold oven for 1st round of proofing until double in size.
6. Deflate the dough and divide into 8 equal portions. Shape into round and leave the dough to rest for 15 minutes.
7. Roll each dough into a disc and wrapped the filling tightly to seal.
8. Place the wrapped dough with seam side down on a lined baking sheets 2 inches apart.
9. Place the baking sheets at the cold oven for 2nd round of proofing until double in size.
10. Brush the top and sides of the buns with egg wash and garnish with some black sesame seeds.
11. Bake at 200C for 20 minutes and increase the temperature to 220C for 10 more minutes or until golden brown.
12. Remove the buns from the oven and leave on cooling rack to cool completely.