300g shrimps (shelled and deveined)
1 tsp potato starch
¼ tsp salt
½ cup shredded carrot
1 cup shredded cabbage
3 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
¼ tsp sugar
¼ tsp ground white pepper
1/8 tsp salt
Long bread roll with sesame topping:
250g bread flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp instant dried yeast
20ml olive oil
Some egg wash
1 tsp white sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, add in instant dried yeast and ¼ cup of water. Stir to combine and leave aside for 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, add in bread flour, salt and olive oil, stir to combine and create a well at the centre.
- Pour in the yeast mixture, gradually add in the remaining water and knead into a rough dough.
- Transfer the dough onto a working surface, continue to knead until smooth and elastic.
- Transfer the dough onto a bowl and place at the cold oven for 1st round of proofing until doubled in size.
- Deflate the dough and divide to 2 equal portion, about 195g each. Shape into round and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll each dough into an 9-inch oblong oval. Roll each oval up from the long end and tightly pinch the seam closed.
- Place the dough onto a lined baking sheets, seam side down, 2 inches apart and lightly press the dough down a bit.
- Transfer the baking sheet into the cold oven for 2nd round of proofing until doubled in size.
- Cut a few slashes on top of the bread.
- Use a pastry brush to apply egg wash on top and sides of the bread rolls, garnish with ½ tsp of white sesame seeds on each bread roll.
- Bake at 220C for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Shift the baking sheet once during halfway baking for even browning.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely on a wire rack. I’ve prepared this bread rolls a day ahead.
- Rub the potato starch and salt with the shrimp meat, rinse with water and drained. This process will get rid of the fishy smell.
- Bring some water to boil, quick blanch the shrimp meat until turn pink. Use a slotted spoon to remove the shrimp meat and leave to cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, add in shredded carrot, shredded cabbage, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, salt, sugar and ground white pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add in the shrimp meat. Toss well.
- To assemble: cut each of the long bread roll with sesame topping into half lengthwise. Top half portion of the shrimps and coleslaw mixture onto the bottom halved cut side of each bread roll. Top with the upper half as sandwich. Serve immediately.