1 no x 1.9kg whole chicken (cleaned)
4 sticks celery (sectioned)
1 carrot (peeled and cut into chunks)
2 white onion (peeled and quartered)
1 whole garlic (squashed)
½ tsp white peppercorns (crushed)
4 thyme sprigs + more for garnishing
1 ½ tsp salt
- Scald the whole chicken with boiling water, rinse with cold water, drained and set aside.
- Add 3000ml water into a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add in chicken, celery, carrot, white onion, garlic, white peppercorns and thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil again.
- Turn heat to low and continue to simmer for 1 ½ hour.
- Season with salt.
- To serve: debone the chicken, discard the skin and tear the meat into strips. Scoop the chicken soup together with the chicken strips and vegetables into individual serving bowl, garnish with thyme sprigs and serve hot.