1 no x 1.8kg whole chicken (cleaned)
15g dang shen (codonopsis)
16g huai shan (Chinese yam)
15g yu zhu (solomonseal rhizome)
15g sha shen (glehnia root)
15g pak hup (lily bulb)
15g red lotus seed
15g dried longan
4g dang gui (Chinese angelica)
1 tsp salt
- Scald the whole chicken with boiling water, rinse with cold water, drained and set aside.
- Rinse all the herbs ingredients and set aside.
- Add 2500ml of water into a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add in whole chicken and all the herbs ingredients (except wolfberry) and bring to a boil again.
- Turn heat to low and continue to simmer for 1 hour.
- Add in wolfberry and bring to a boil again.
- Season with salt and covered with lid for 15 minutes.
- To serve: debone the chicken and discard the skin. Scoop chicken meat together with soup into individual serving bowl and serve hot.