1 x 2.2kg whole duck (cleaned)
Adequate cooking oil for deep-frying
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp five spice powder
1 cup glutinous rice (soaked overnight and drained)
25g dried lotus seed (soaked overnight and cleaned)
25g dried chestnut (soaked overnight and cleaned)
25g dried Chinese mushroom (soaked overnight, discard stem and diced)
25g jianghua ham (diced)
4 nos dried scallop (soaked overnight and separate into shreds)
8 nos red dates (pitted)
2 nos salted egg yolk
2 tbsp dried shrimps (rinsed and drained)
2 cloves garlic (peeled and chopped)
1 shallot (peeled and chopped)
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp chinese cooking wine
1 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
¼ tsp ground white pepper
½ tsp sesame oil
1 tsp corn starch mixed with 2 tsp water
1 no broccoli (cut into floret)
8 slices carrot (cut into flower design)
- Cut a slit through the centre of the back of the duck. While keeping a sharp knife close to the bone, cut away the meat from the duck. Remove the back bone. Rinse and pat-dry with paper towel.
- Rub the marinade all over the duck and transfer onto a big plate. Cover with cling wrap and chill in the fridge overnight.
- Remove the marinated duck from the fridge half an hour before cooking time.
- Bring some water to a boil, add in soaked lotus seed and chestnuts. Turn heat to low and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Remove, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Heat up adequate cooking oil for deep-frying, add in marinated duck, deep-fry until both sides become golden brown. Remove, drained and set aside.
- Heat up a wok with 2 tbsp of oil from deep-frying the duck, saute the chopped garlic and shallot until fragrant.
- Add in shreds of dried scallops, diced jianghua ham, dried shrimps and diced mushroom, saute until fragrant.
- Add in soaked glutinous rice, lotus seed, chestnut, red dates, seasonings and water. Constantly stirring until the glutinous rice adsorb all of the water. Dish out and leave to cool completely.
- To assemble: Place a piece of cellophane paper on a steaming tray. Top with the whole duck, breast side down.
- Stuff half of the glutinous rice mixture into the cavity from the back bone opening, top with the salted egg yolk, cover with the remaining glutinous rice mixture. Cover the whole duck with another piece of cellophane paper.
- Steamed at preheated steamer for 2 ½ hour at low heat.
- Meanwhile, bring some water to a boil, quick blanched the broccoli floret and carrot slices until tender crisp. Remove, rinse with cold water, drained and set aside.
- After 2 ½ hour. Remove the duck from the steamer, discard the cellophane paper. Transfer the whole duck with stuffing to a serving platter. Garnish with broccoli floret and carrot slices.
- Pour the dripping into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Thicken with the corn starch solution. Pour the gravy on top of the duck just before serving.