Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from wantanmien
200g all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
3 tbsp cooking oil
1. In a mixing bowl, add in all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, cooking oil and water. Mix well and knead till combined. Cover and let the dough rest for 1 hour.
2. Press to remove the air and knead the dough for around 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
3. Put the dough into a plastic bag and secure it with a rubber band and leave in the fridge overnight.
4. Remove the dough from the fridge and set it aside for around 45 minutes, back to room temperature.
5. Grease the top of the working surface with some cooking oil, place the dough and roll it into 15-inch long strip, use finger to flatten it. Cut it into 1-inch strips. Stake 2 pieces together, use a bamboo skewer to press at the center so that the 2 pieces will attached together. Repeat the process for the remaining strips.
6. Heat up adequate cooking oil for deep-frying on high heat at around 180C. Hold both ends of the you tiao to stretch it to a longer pieces before putting it for deep-frying. Deep-fry the you tiao in batches. Moving it constantly with a chopstick until fully expanded and become golden brown.
- Remove and drain on paper towel to absorb the excessive oil. Transfer onto a serving platter and serve.