Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from Koh Sai Ngo’s The Best of Penang Street Food
300g yellow noodles (blanched)
½ packet mee hoon (soaked and blanched)
500g bean sprouts (rinsed and blanched)
2 eggs (beaten, pan-fried into crepe and shredded)
2 pcs lettuce leaves (shredded)
5 shallots (peeled, sliced and deep-fried)
500g medium-sized prawns
500g pork belly (rinsed)
3 litres water mixed with 3 tbsp concentrated chicken stock
1 tbsp ground white pepper
20g rock sugar
1 tsp salt
6 red chillies
5 bird’s eye chillies
1 tbsp toasted belacan
5 calamansi (squeezed juice)
- Cook prawns with some water. Remove and shell the prawns. Reserve the shells for later use.
- Cook pork belly in chicken stock until tender. Remove and cut into strips. Set aside.
- Wrap the shells in a cloth bag and place it into the chicken stock, cook for 45 minutes. Add seasonings and turn off the heat.
- Sambal Chilli: Finely blend red chillies, bird’s eye chillies and toasted belacan. Add calamansi juice and mix until well combined.
- Place yellow noodles and mee hoon in a serving bowl. Add bean sprouts, prawns, pork strips, shredded eggs, lettuce leaves and fried shallot. Pour the soup over and serve with Sambal Chilli.