Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from en.christinesrecipes.com
Ingredients: (yield one 20cm (8-inch) round cake pan with removable base, non-greased)
90g cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
5 egg yolks
40g caster sugar
80ml full cream milk
60ml olive oil
6 egg whites
½ tsp cream of tartar
50g caster sugar
2 tsp matcha powder
1 tbsp hot water
- Preheat oven to 170C. Mix the matcha powder and hot water very well. Make sure there are no lumps at all. Set aside.
- Sift the cake flour and baking powder together and combine well. Set aside.
- Prepare the yolk batter: Whisk the egg yolks with 40g of caster sugar until smooth. Pour in milk. Combine well. Sift in the flour mixture in three additions and incorporate well. Stir in the olive oil bit by bit until you get a smooth batter.
- Prepare the egg whites: In a large clean mixing bowl, without any trace of oil or water, beat the egg whites until bubbles form. Add cream of tartar. Continue to beat until it’s well incorporated. Add one-third of the 50g of caster sugar at a time. Beat very well between the additions, until peaks form.
- Fold in one-third of the egg whites into the yolk batter at a time. Divide the batter into two parts. Stir in the matcha liquid into one of them. Pour in the two parts of batter into a non-greased chiffon cake pan alternatively. Use a skewer to stir the batter a few circles lightly.
- Bake in the preheated oveb for 45 minutes. After the first 15 minutes reduce the oven temperature to 150C. Continue to bake until it’s cooked through. Am inserted needle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and immediately revert the cake pan upside down. Let it cool completely. Carefully remove the cake from the pan. Enjoy!