5 pcs bean curd (quartered)
140g shrimp meat (deveined)
1 big onion (peeled and sliced)
Adequate cooking oil
4 red chillies (sliced)
5 shallots (peeled)
2 cloves garlic (peeled)
1 tsp toasted shrimp paste (belacan)
2 tbsp chilli sauce
1 tbsp tomato sauce
½ cup water mixed with 1 tbsp of asam jawa (tamarind) (discard seeds)
2 tsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup frozen green peas (blanched)
- Heat up a non-stick skillet with some cooking oil, pan-fried the bean curd until golden brown on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Leave 2 tbsp of cooking oil in the skillet, saute the blended spices until fragrant.
- Add in chilli sauce and tomato sauce, saute until oil separates.
- Add in sliced onion, saute until fragrant.
- Add in shrimp meat, saute until half-cooked.
- Add in tamarind juice, sugar and salt and bring to a boil.
- Add in fried bean curd, stir to combine and let the bean curd absorb some of the sauce.
- Dish out to a serving bowl, garnish with blanched green peas.
- Serve with white rice.