5 pcs bean curd (quartered)
30g peeled anchovies
Adequate cooking oil
4 red chillies (sliced)
2 cloves garlic (peeled)
5 shallots (peeled)
1-inch young ginger (sliced)
½-inch galangal (sliced)
1 tsp toasted shrimp paste (belacan)
1 tbsp tomato sauce
¼ cup water mixed with 1 tsp tamarind paste (discard the seeds)
1 tsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
- Heat up some oil in a non-stick skillet, pan-fried the bean curd until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Use the same oil to pan-fry the anchovies on low heat until crispy and golden brown. Remove and drained on paper towel to absorb the excessive oil.
- Leave 2 tbsp of oil in the skillet, saute the blended spices until fragrant.
- Add in tomato sauce, saute until oil separates.
- Add in tamarind juice, sugar and salt and bring to a boil.
- Add in fried bean curd, stir to combine and let the bean curd absorb some of the sauce.
- Add in ½ portion of the fried anchovies, stir to combine.
- Dish out to a serving bowl, garnish with the remaining portion of fried anchovies and serve.