Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from Byran Ong’s A Passion for Chicken
1 no x 1.9kg whole chicken (cleaned)
12 xiao bai cai (blanched)
1 tbsp oil
100g soaked sea cucumber (diced)
60g fried fish maw (soaked and diced)
1 can button mushrooms (drained)
10 shallots (removed skin, fried)
1 tbsp concentrated chicken stock
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
1 tbsp cornstarch water (1 tsp cornstarch + 1 tbsp water)
- Remove bone from the chicken.
- Blanch sea cucumber, fish maw and button mushrooms in boiling water for a short while, dish and drain.
- Heat up oil, stir-fry all ingredients for stuffing until fragrant. Add seasoning A and simmer for 5 minutes and dish up. Stuff into chicken and seal with bamboo skewer.
- Steam stuffed chicken for 1 hour at high heat or until cooked. Remove.
- Arrange chicken and xiao bai cai on a serving platter. Bring gravy of steamed chicken to boil, add seasoning B and thicken with cornstarch water. Pour the gravy over chicken and vegetables. Serve.