Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from Peranakan Cuisine “Baba Nyonya Culture Dishes
600g mackerel fish fillet (cut into pieces)
300ml thick coconut milk
2 tsp corn flour
40 blades wild betel leaf (daun kaduk) (shredded)
6 blades kaffir lime leaf (finely sliced)
10 red shallots
20 dried chillies (soaked)
1 lemongrass (white part only)
1 ginger flower
1 tsp toasted shrimp paste (belacan)
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
Some banana leaves
(cut into 6×8 inches rectangles shaped, blanched in hot water to soften)
- Place all the spice paste ingredients into food processor and blend into paste.
- Heat up 2 tbsp cooking oil in wok, and stir-fry spice paste until chili oil is separates. Dish up.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients with spice paste and seasoning. Stir to mix them well.
- Lay a piece of banana leaf on table, scoop 2 tbsp of fish mixture into centre. Fold up both sides of banana leaf to the centre and fold up the other two ends to the centre as well. Seal it with bamboo tooth picks.
- Arrange the wrapped fish custard (otak-otak) in a preheated steamer. Steamed it for 10 minutes over high heat. Remove and serve hot.