Ingredients: (yield 10 dumplings)
500g glutinous rice (washed and drained)
20 pcs dried bamboo leaves
20 pcs dried grass strands
1 tbsp cooking oil
5 tbsp shallot oil
3 tbsp chopped garlic
150g homemade red bean paste (divide into 15g each, shape into ball and wrapped each with pork fat netting (chee mong yau)
250g pork belly (cut into large pieces)
40g dried shiitake mushroom (soaked until soften, discard stems and cut into pieces)
40g dried chestnut (soaked overnight, use toothpick to remove the membrane, blanched in boiling water and drained)
40g dried shrimps (rinsed and drained)
5 nos salted egg yolk (halved)
Marinade for pork belly:
1 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
½ tsp sesame oil
1 tsp five spice powder
¼ tsp ground white pepper
½ tsp sugar
1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
Marinade for shiitake mushroom:
½ tsp sesame oil
¼ tsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
Seasonings for glutinous rice:
1 tsp salt
½ tsp ground white pepper
- Soak bamboo leaves and grass strands overnight until softened. Remove the grass strands and set aside. Use a clean cloth to wipe clean both sides of each bamboo leaf. Carefully place the bamboo leaves into a large pot. Pour boiling water to cover all the leaves. Add 1 tbsp of cooking oil. Cook over high heat and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Keep the lid on and let it cool down completely. Trimmed both ends and wipe dry with a clean cloth and set aside.
- Marinate the pork belly pieces with marinade and leave it in the fridge overnight. Remove from the fridge ½ and hour before cooking time.
- Marinate the shiitake mushrooms with marinade and set aside.
- Heat up a non-stick skillet with 2 tbsp of shallot oil, saute 1 tbsp of chopped garlic until fragrant. Add in glutinous rice and seasonings, stir-fry until fragrant. Remove and set aside to cool completely.
- Heat up a non-stick skillet with 1 tbsp of shallot oil, saute 1 tsp of chopped garlic until fragrant. Add in dried shrimps, stir-fry until fragrant. Remove and set aside to cool completely.
- Heat up a non-stick skillet with 1 tbsp of shallot oil, saute 1 tsp of chopped garlic until fragrant. Add in marinated shiitake mushroom, stir-fry until fragrant. Remove and set aside to cool completely.
- Heat up a non-stick skillet with 1 tbsp of shallot oil, saute 1 tbsp of chopped garlic until fragrant. Add in marinated pork belly, stir-fry until fragrant. Remove and set aside to cool completely.
- To wrap dumplings: Place 2 pcs of bamboo leaves, overlap them by 80% of the area, smooth side up, fold up 1/3 of the bamboo leaves to form a cone.
- Add in 1 tbsp of glutinous rice, follow by salted egg yolk, pork belly, chestnut, dried shrimps, shiitake mushroom and red bean paste. Cover the top with 2 more tbsp of glutinous rice. Press it down gently before wrapping up to form a triangle shape. Use grass strands to wrap tightly around the dumpling. Repeat this step to finish wrapping the remaining ingredients.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add in the wrapped dumplings, make sure the water is enough to submerge all the dumplings, covered and cook over low heat for 4 hours. Remember to keep an eye and add in additional water as required.
- Remove the rice dumplings and hang it up and leave it to air-dry. You may serve the rice dumplings after it cool down a bit. Remaining to be kept in the fridge and to be re-steamed again before serving.