Ingredients: (yield 10 dumplings)
250g glutinous rice
1 ½ tsp alkaline water
½ tsp salt
½ tbsp cooking oil
10 pcs dried bamboo leaves
10 pcs dried grass strands
1 tbsp cooking oil
200g homemade red bean paste
- Wash and drained the glutinous rice. Place it in a bowl, mixed the glutinous rice with alkaline water and cover with water. Soaked overnight.
- Soak bamboo leaves and grass strands overnight until softened. Remove the grass strands and set aside. Use a clean cloth to wipe clean both sides of each bamboo leaf. Carefully place the bamboo leaves into a large pot. Pour boiling water to cover all the leaves. Add 1 tbsp of cooking oil. Cook over high heat and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Keep the lid on and let it cool down completely. Trimmed both ends and wipe dry with a clean cloth and set aside.
- Drained the soaked glutinous rice and mixed with salt and cooking oil. Divide the glutinous rice into 10 equal portions.
- Divide the homemade red bean paste into 10 equal portions, 20g each and shape into ball.
- To wrap dumplings: With smooth side up, fold up 1/3 of a bamboo leaf to form a cone. Add ½ portion of the glutinous rice. Place a red bean ball in the middle, then top with the remaining portion of the glutinous rice to cover. Lightly press and level the surface. Fold the upper part of the leaf to cover the glutinous rice. Fold-in both sides and the remaining part. Form a triangle shape. Use grass strands to wrap tightly around the dumpling. Repeat this step to finish wrapping the remaining ingredients.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add in the wrapped dumplings, make sure the water is enough to submerge all the dumplings, covered and cook over low heat for 4 hours. Remember to keep an eye and add in additional water as required.
- Remove the rice dumplings and hang it up and leave it to air-dry. You may serve the rice dumplings after it cool down a bit. Remaining to be kept in the fridge and to be re-steamed again before serving.