5 egg yolks
30g caster sugar
75ml canola oil
75ml full cream milk
90g wholemeal flour
30g cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
6 egg whites
75g caster sugar
½ tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven at 170C.
- In a mixing bowl, add in egg yolk and caster sugar. Whisk to combine.
- Add in canola oil and full cream milk. Whisk to combine.
- Add in wholemeal flour, cake flour and baking powder. Whisk to combine.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until bubbles form. Mix in cream of tartar, beat well. Mix in 1/3 of caster sugar at a time, and beat well between additions. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon out 1/3 of the beaten egg whites and mix into the egg batter.
- Lightly fold in the rest of the beaten egg whites with a spatula, until just combined.
- Pour batter into the 20cm chiffon cake pan.
- Bake in preheated oven at 170C for 1 hour.
- Remove cake from the oven, invert the pan immediately. Allow to cool completely.