125g unsalted butter (soften at room temperature)
125g fine semolina / sugee
125g caster sugar (divided)
4 large eggs (yolks and white separated)
63g all-purpose flour
100g ground almond
25g chopped almond
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp rose essence
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, add in soften unsalted butter and semolina, mix to combine. Set aside for 1 hour to allow the semolina to absorb the moisture.
- Preheat oven at 180C.
- In a mixing bowl, add in ground almond, chopped almond, baking powder, salt, ground nutmeg and ground cinnamon. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Place the egg white and 1 tbsp of caster sugar in a bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat until soft peak. Set aside.
- Place the egg yolk and the remaining caster sugar in another bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat until frothy.
- Add in unsalted butter and semolina mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add in rose essence and pure vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients mixture prepared in step 2 and stir to combine.
- Fold in the egg white until just combine.
- Pour the mixture into a pre-greased and lined 10 x 4 ½-inch loaf pan. Smooth the top and bake at preheated oven at 180C for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted at the middle comes out clean.
- Remove cake from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack before unmould and slicing.