Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from Patricia Lee’s Classic Nyonya Dishes
150g minced pork
150g prawns (wash, shell and mince prawns)
5 water chestnuts
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground white pepper
1 tsp cornflour
40g dried fish maw (soak with water until soft. Drain and cut into pieces)
300g white cabbage (cut into large pieces)
3 litre water
3 tbsp concentrated chicken stock
20 fish balls
1 pork tripe (wash, blanch in boiling water and cut into pieces)
½ carrot (cut into strips)
1 tsp chicken seasoning powder
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp ground white pepper
A drop of brandy
- Add 2 litre of water into a pot and bring to a boil. Add in pork tripe pieces and continue to simmer until turn soft. About 1 ½ hours. Remove, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Scald fish maw pieces in boiling water to remove excessive oil. Rinse several times and squeezed dried. Set aside.
- Mix all meatball ingredients together and shape mixture into small balls.
- Add 3 litre water and concentrated chicken stock into a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add all remaining ingredients. Simmer until fish balls and prawn meatballs float to the surface.
- Add seasoning. Dish out, garnish with coriander leaf and brandy. Serve.