Egg Yolk Batter:
6 egg yolks
60g grated cheddar cheese
38g unsalted butter
90ml full cream milk
105g cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
6 egg whites
135g caster sugar
¼ tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven at 170C.
- Mix grated cheddar cheese, unsalted butter and full cream milk together, double boil until just melted. Remove and set aside to cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, add in egg yolk and whisk until frothy.
- Add in cheddar cheese mixture, whisk to combine.
- Add in cake flour, baking powder and salt, whisk to combine.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until bubbles form. Add in cream of tartar. Beat until combine. Mix in 1/3 of caster sugar at a time, and beat well between additions. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon out 1/3 of the beaten egg whites and mix into the egg yolk batter.
- Lightly fold in the rest of the beaten egg whites with a spatula, until just combined.
- Pour batter into a 20cm chiffon cake pan. Level the surface with a spatula.
- Bake in preheated oven at 170C for 1 hour.
- Remove cake from the oven, invert the pan immediately. Allow to cool completely.