Egg Yolk Batter:
6 egg yolks
144g caster sugar
36g cocoa powder
156ml full cream milk
102ml canola oil
192g cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 egg whites
90g caster sugar
¼ tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven at 170C.
- In a bowl, add in full cream milk and cocoa powder. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add in egg yolks and caster sugar. Whisk until frothy.
- Add in milk and cocoa mixture. Whisk to combine.
- Add in canola oil. Whisk to combine.
- Add in vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.
- Add in cake flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until bubbles form. Add in cream of tartar. Beat until combine. Mix in 1/3 of caster sugar at a time, and beat well between additions. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon out 1/3 of the beaten egg whites and mix into the egg yolk batter.
- Lightly fold in the rest of the beaten egg whites with a spatula, until just combined.
- Pour batter into a 20cm chiffon cake pan. Level the surface with a spatula.
- Bake in preheated oven at 170C for 1 hour.
- Remove cake from the oven, invert the pan immediately. Allow to cool completely.