200g mee hoon (soaked until soften with 2000ml of water + ½ tsp turmeric powder)
2 pcs chicken whole legs (cut into pieces)
6 shallots (peeled and sliced)
3 cloves garlic (peeled and sliced)
1-inch young ginger (flattened)
½-inch turmeric (flattened)
1 pc cinnamon stick
1 pc star anise
5 pcs cloves
3 pcs cardamom
1 pc sup bunjut adabi
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp chicken seasoning powder
1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
100g bean sprout (trimmed)
1 stalk spring onion (chopped)
1 stalk Chinese celery (chopped)
¼ cup fried shallot
3 nos calamansi (halved)
- Heat up a pot with 1 tbsp of cooking oil, saute the cinnamon stick, star anise, cloves, cardamom, shallots, garlic, young ginger and turmeric until fragrant.
- Add in chicken pieces, lightly sautéed.
- Add in water and chicken seasoning powder. Bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and continue to simmer for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, scald the mee hoon in boiling water. Remove, drained and transfer onto 3 separate serving bowls.
- After 1 hour, season the soup with coarsely ground black pepper and salt.
- To serve: Scoop 1/3 portion of the soup mixture into each serving bowls, garnish with bean sprout, chopped spring onion, Chinese celery, fried shallot and calamansi. Serve hot.