Egg Yolk Batter:
5 egg yolks
20g matcha powder
120ml full cream milk
68ml canola oil
136g cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
6 egg whites
120g caster sugar
¼ tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven at 170C.
- Heat up full cream milk, add in matcha powder. Stir until dissolved. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, add in egg yolks. Whisk until frothy.
- Add in canola oil and matcha milk mixture. Whisk to combine.
- Add in cake flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until bubbles form. Add in cream of tartar. Beat until combine. Mix in 1/3 of caster sugar at a time, and beat well between additions. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon out 1/3 of the beaten egg whites and mix into the egg yolk batter.
- Lightly fold in the rest of the beaten egg whites with a spatula, until just combined.
- Pour batter into a 20cm chiffon cake pan. Level the surface with a spatula.
- Bake in preheated oven at 170C for 1 hour.
- Remove cake from the oven, invert the pan immediately. Allow to cool completely.