4 cups bread flour
¼ cup caster sugar
2 tsp salt
2 tsp instant dried yeast
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
¼ cup canola oil
1 large egg white mixed with 1 tbsp water
- In a small bowl, mix instant yeast with ¼ cup of water and leave aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in bread flour, caster sugar and salt. Use a rubber spatula to mix well and make a small well at the centre. Add in eggs, stir to combine. Pour in the yeast mixture, gradually add in the remaining water and knead into a rough dough.
- Transfer the dough onto a silicone mat lay on a working surface, continue to knead the dough until all ingredients come together. Add in canola oil, continue to knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Transfer the dough into a bowl and leave the bowl in the cold oven for 1st round of proofing, about 1 hour or until double in size.
- Deflate the dough and divide the dough to three equal portion. Roll out each portion into 16-inches ropes.
- Braid the dough: line the ropes straight so that they are in front of you vertically. Cross the right rope over the middle rope, then cross the left rope over the middle rope. Keep going back and forth crossing left over right, then right over left, until you reach the ends of the ropes. Pinch them together at the top and at the bottom, and tuck the ropes under at the ends.
- Transfer the braided dough onto a large baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat. Place the baking tray in the cold oven for 2nd round of proofing until double in size.
- Use a pastry brush to apply egg wash on top and side of the bread.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180C for 1 hour, rotating the baking sheet halfway through baking for even browning until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and transfer onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.