1 kg chicken pieces (consists of 2 chicken whole legs & 2 chicken wings with breast)
1 tbsp tamarind paste
1 tbsp palm sugar
2 tsp salt
2 tsp coriander powder
2 pcs bay leaves
Adequate cooking oil for deep-frying
1 ½ inch turmeric
½ inch young ginger
1 lemongrass (white part only)
8 shallots (peeled)
4 cloves garlic (peeled)
6 red chillies
1 tomato (deseeded)
4 tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp toaste shrimp paste
2 tbsp palm sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 lime (juiced)
Some lettuce and sliced cucumber
- In a pot, add in chicken pieces, tamarind paste, palm sugar, salt, coriander powder, bay leaves, blended spices together with 300ml of water. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to low and continue to simmer until the chicken are cooked.
- Remove the chicken pieces, drained and leave aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sambal terasi:
- Heat up a non-stick skillet with 4 tbsp of cooking oil, saute the tomato and shallots until softened. Remove and set aside.
- Use the remaining oil to saute the red chilli until softened. Remove and set aside.
- Add the softened tomato, shallots, red chilli, toasted shrimp paste, palm sugar and salt into a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Remove and transfer into a serving bowl, add in lime juice, stir to combine and set aside.
- Heat up adequate cooking oil for deep-frying, deep-fry the cooked chicken pieces until golden brown. Remove and drained.
- To serve: Arrange the fried chicken pieces in a serving platter, garnish with lettuce leaves and sliced cucumber. Serve with sambal terasi.