Tested Recipe Adapted from Amy Wong’s Versatile Vegetarian
10 sheets bean curd skin
1 red chilli (shredded)
1 green chilli (shredded)
50g sour ginger (shredded)
1 lemon rind (shredded)
1 ½ tbsp tomato sauce
2 pieces fermented red bean curd
1 ½ tbsp sugar
1 tsp five-spice powder
½ tsp ground white pepper
2 tsp ground bean paste
2 tbsp rice flour
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 ½ tbsp lemon juice
3 ½ tbsp honey
1 ½ tbsp light soy sauce
Flour Solution (mixed well):
½ tbsp corn flour
1 tbsp water
- Mix seasonings A and pour the mixture through the sieve. Divide the mixture into 10 portions.
- Take a sheet of bean curd skin and lay it flat. Spread a layer of seasonings A evenly onto the bean curd skin. Fold the bean curd skin into several layers and secure with bamboo stick. Repeat the steps till the rest of ingredients are used up.
- Place bean curd skins that are done into a steamer, and steam for 5 minutes. Remove and air-dry.
- Deep-fry three sheets of bean curd skins (vegetarian duck) in hot oil till golden brown. Remove and cut into pieces, and arrange them in the middle of serving plate.
- Heat up 2 tbsp of oil, stir-fry red chilli, green chilli, sour ginger and lemon rind for a while.
- Add in seasonings B and continue to cook till the gravy is reduced.
- Thicken the gravy with flour solution, and drizzle it on the vegetarian duck.