Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from Madam Choong’s Noodle Secrets
Ban Mee /Flat Noodles:
250g all-purpose flour
50g tapioca starch
½ grade A egg
50g tapioca starch (sprinkling on dough)
300g pork bone (scalded, rinsed and drained)
60g anchovy (washed, drained and dry-fried)
1 onion (peeled and cut into 4 pieces)
½ tbsp white peppercorn
7 cups water
2 tsp salt (add in last)
6 cloves garlic (peeled and chopped)
200g minced meat
2 pieces black fungus
3 pieces Chinese mushroom
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp Chinese cooking wine
1 tbsp oyster sauce
¼ cup water
¼ tsp ground white pepper
1 tsp sesame oil
250g sweet lead / sayur manis (use the leaves only)
80g anchovy (washed, drained and deep-fried with warm oil till crisp)
Some fried shallot
3 pieces red chilli
5 pieces bird’s eye chilli
20g belacan (toasted)
2 tbsp tamarind pulp
3 tbsp water
1 ½ tbsp calamansi juice
1 ½ tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
- Sambal Belacan:
- Combine tamarind pulp with 3 tbsp of water, let it soak for 15 minutes, strain juice and discard the dregs.
- Add sauce ingredients accordingly into blended ingredients, mix well and set aside.
- Ban Mee:
- Sift all-purpose flour and tapioca starch on the table, add salt and mix well. Make a well in the centre to form a round “wall”, pour egg and water into well. Gradually transfer the flour from the “wall” into the well and at the same time, knead to form a hard dough with a damp cloth and rest for 60 minutes.
- Use a noodle machine to cut into noodles. Sprinkle some tapioca starch on the dough to prevent from sticking together).
- Soup: Combine soup ingredients in a pot, bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to medium low heat and cook for 30 minutes. Reduce to low heat and simmer for 1 ½ hours. Add in 2 tsp of salt and mix well. Remove heat.
- Garnishing A:
- Soak black fungus till expanded, trim hard stem, wash, drain, cut into strips and dry-fry, set aside.
- Soak mushrooms till soft, trim hard stems, shred and add in cold water, bring to a boil over low heat. Remove and leave aside to cool, squeeze dry. Set aside.
- Heat up oil in a wok, saute garlic till fragrant, add in minced meat and stir-fry till the meat turns pale. Add in sugar, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, fish sauce and Chinese cooking wine, stir-fry till fragrant. Add black fungus and mushroom, stir-fry for a while. Add in oyster sauce and ¼ cup of water, cover with lid and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes till the sauce is slightly absorbed. Sprinkle in ground white pepper and sesame oil, stir evenly and dish up.
- Pour adequate soup into a small pot, bring to a boil over high heat and add ban mee, stir and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes till the noodles become translucent and float to the surface of soup. Add in sweet leaf and scald till cooked, transfer to big bowls.
- Scoop in some cooked garnishing A and B on top, serve with sambal belacan.