Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from Chef Korn’s Thai@Home
8 slices sandwich bread
300g finely chopped prawns
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander root
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp white sesame seed
½ tsp white peppercorn
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp oyster sauce
Adequate cooking oil for deep-frying
¼ cup marmalade
¼ cup vinegar
¼ tsp salt
- Marmalade sauce: place all the ingredients in a pot, stir over low heat until the mixture thickens. Allow the sauce to cool.
- Remove the crust from breads and cut in half lengthwise. Dry the bread at 180C in oven for 30 minutes. Turn the bread once for even drying. This will cause the bread to absorb less oil and becomes crispy.
- Pound garlic, coriander root and white peppercorn until fine.
- Mix the paste and the prawns until well combined, crack in an egg, and season with soy sauce, oyster sauce and sugar. Continue to kneading until the mixture becomes uniform.
- Divide the prawn mixture into 16 portions, spread each portion at the centre of the bread, and sprinkle sesame seeds over.
- Heat the oil in a wok over medium-low heat, fry the bread with spread-side down until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove, drain on absorbent paper. Serve with marmalade sauce.