Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from Choong Su Yin’s Scrumptious Rice & Porridge
4 cups raw rice
5 pieces pandan leaves
4 cups chicken stock
1 piece cucumber (peeled, cut into half and sliced it slant)
Some cilantro leaves
1 no x 1.5kg whole chicken
4 ½ litre water
6 cloves garlic (peeled and flattened)
5cm ginger (peeled and flattened)
1 stalk spring onion (sectioned)
1 tbsp salt
2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground white pepper
Adequate chicken fat (washed, cut into small pieces)
4 cloves garlic (peeled and chopped)
4cm ginger (peeled and chopped)
1 ½ tbsp margarine
½ tsp salt
50g red chilli
50g young ginger
2 tsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
5 tbsp boiling chicken stock
3 tsp calamansi juice
- Rinse and soak raw rice in water for 60 minutes, drain thoroughly and set aside.
- Rinse pandan leaves, cut 1 piece pandan leaf into 4 small pieces. Tied the rest of pandan leaves into a knot.
- Clean chicken, rub cavity and skin of chicken with ingredients C. Hang it up for 30 minutes until dry.
- Boil 4 ½ litre water with garlic, ginger and spring onion (from ingredients B) at high heat until boiling, stir in salt, reduce to low heat and add chicken, simmer for 40 minutes without lid (simmering time depends on the size of chicken).
- Remove and soak chicken in cold water for 10 minutes (do not over soak otherwise the skin of chicken will crack). Remove chicken, dry with kitchen paper. Then rub the skin with salt and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Heat wok, add chicken fat and fry to release oil, discard the fat dregs. Stir in garlic and ginger, fry till fragrant, add some pandan leaf pieces, raw rice and stir fry till aromatic, follow by margarine and salt, fry until margarine melted.
- Add fried rice, pandan leaves knot and chicken stock in a steaming plate. Steamed at preheated steamer on high heat until cooked.
- Chilli sauce: Blend ingredients A till well combined, pour in boiled chicken stock, leave to cool. Mix in calamansi juice.
- Shape the chicken rice into balls.
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and arrange in a serving platter together with some sliced cucumber and cilantro. Serve with chicken rice balls and chilli sauce.