Tested Recipe Adapted from An Inspiring Collection of Hakka Foods
1 no free range chicken
100g shallots (chopped)
5 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 tbsp light soy sauce
3 tbsp sugar
1 ½ tbsp five spices powder
1 tbsp salt
- Rinse chicken, pat-dry, rub all over the chicken inside and outside with marinade, marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat up 2 tbsp oil in a preheated wok to saute garlic and shallots over a low heat until fragrant and golden in colour. Add in sugar, stir-fry until the sugar is completely dissolve, pour in water, and bring to boil.
- Place the marinated chicken in a pot, add in the shallots liquid, bring back to the boil. Covered, lower the heat, simmer for 30 minutes until the chicken is done (turning chicken from time to time).
- Dish up chicken, leave to cool and cut into pieces.
- Combine the shallot gravy with light soy sauce, simmer it over high heat until the gravy is almost thicken and syrupy. Remove from heat, transfer to the chicken pieces. Serve hot.