Tested Recipe with Slight Adjustment Adapted from Madam Choong’s Noodle Secrets
700g yellow noodles (scalded for ½ minute)
200g bean sprouts (blanched)
4 pieces fried bean curd (pan-fried and cut into 6 pieces each)
3 hard-boiled egg (shelled and sliced)
1 cucumber (shredded)
2 red chilli (shredded)
8 shallots (sliced and deep-fried till crispy)
2 lime (cut into wedges)
45g tamarind pulp
60g dried shrimp powder
6 cups water
260g sweet potato
80g ground nut
2 tsp white peppercorn (crushed)
Sambal Sauce (Grind Finely)
9 pieces red chilli (seeded and diced)
10 pieces shallot (peeled and halved)
8 cloves garlic (peeled and halved)
2 inches ginger (peeled and finely cut)
2 inches belacan (toasted)
1-inch turmeric (peeled and finely cut)
1 stick cinnamon stick
6 pieces cardamom
1 tsp coriander powder (dry-fried)
90g tomato sauce
1 ½ tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
50g rice flour
30g all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 tbsp oil
25g dried shrimp
3 cloves garlic (peeled and washed)
½-inch turmeric (scraped, rinsed and finely cut)
1 tsp water
½ tsp salt
1/8 tsp sugar
¼ tsp ground white pepper
- Crispy cracker:
- Soak dried shrimps in hot water for 10 minutes, wash and drain. Combine dried shrimps with remaining ingredients B, and grind finely.
- Sift rice flour, all-purpose flour and baking powder together, add in water and mix well. Add in oil and stir thoroughly.
- Combine evenly grinded ingredients B with batter. Add in seasonings and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon 1 tbsp of batter on a preheated spatula and dip into the hot oil, deep-fry over low heat till the cracker break away from spatula. Continue to deep-fry till the cracker is golden brown and crispy. Remove and drain. Repeat the steps till the batter is used up.
- Cover tamarind pulp with hot water till 1-inch above and set aside for 15 minutes. Press pulp out with finger, remove seeds and fibers, the rest is tamarind juice.
- Peel potatoes and sweet potatoes, cut into 2 1/2cm pieces and cook till tender. Mash into a smooth paste and set aside.
- Roast groundnut till golden brown, add some water and grind finely.
- Gravy: Heat up oil in a wok, stir-fry sambal sauce over low heat till fragrant. Add in spices ingredients, tamarind juice and dried shrimp powder, stir-fry evenly. Add in water and mix well.
- Add in potatoes and sweet potatoes paste, ground nut paste, crushed peppercorn and seasonings, cook till gravy is thicken and smooth (stir constantly).
- Put adequate noodles, bean sprouts into serving bowl, pour boiling gravy over the noodles. Arrange some fried bean curd, egg, cucumber shreds, chilli shreds, fried shallot, crispy cracker and lime wedges on top. Serve.