500g rice vermicelli
300g prawns (shelled and deveined)
10 dried chilli (seeded and soaked in water until soft, drained)
¼ cup peeled garlic
¼ cup peeled shallot
¼ cup dried shrimp
½ cup palm sugar
¾ cup tamarind juice
1/3 cup fish sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
½ cup cooking oil
500g bean sprout
100g Chinese chives (cut into 1 inch length)
- Soak rice vermicelli in cold water about 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Pound dried chillies, garlic, shallots and dried shrimps together until well combined. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil over low heat, spread to cover the sides of the wok. Pour in the beaten egg and spread into a thin omelette. When the omelette is done, remove from the heat, roll it up and cut into thin strips.
- Fry the pounded ingredients over medium heat till fragrant. Season to taste with palm sugar, fish sauce, tamarind juice and dark soy sauce. Add prawns, and stir it well until done.
- Add rice vermicelli, reduce to medium low heat, and continue cooking for a few minutes until the vermicelli is soft, then turn off the heat. Add the bean sprouts and Chinese chives, mix well.
- Arrange fried vermicelli in a serving dish, serve with fresh vegetables as desired, garnish with omelette strips.